This accessibility policy applies to the website of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety at www.bmu.de. We update and edit the information on a regular basis. The last update took place on 17 December 2020. With few exceptions, this website is fully accessible.
This means that we, as a public sector body in accordance with Directive (EU) 2016/2102, comply with the legal provisions of the German Act on Equal Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities (Behindertengleichstellungsgesetz - BGG) and the Ordinance on Accessible Information Technology (BITV 2.0).
Our enhanced measures
- PDF documents
- Since 2017, PDF documents have been made accessible in accordance with the PDF/UA standard (DIN ISO 14289-1:2016-12).
- New files are directly provided in an accessible format at the time of publication. This is not always possible when publication deadlines are particularly short or very long documents such as research reports are concerned. In these instances, we try to generate and publish the accessible version as quickly as possible.
- Video content
- Our video content is accessible.
- You can, for example, control playback with your keyboard only and separately select subtitles and, if required, a version with audio description. In some individual cases, an alternate version with a separate full text is available, for example for some longer speeches and statements.
- BMU profiles on external websites
- We try to ensure that all our content on external websites, for example social media, is equally accessible. However, this depends on the functionalities provided by the third-party service.
Our current projects
To uncover potential limitations in the published information, integrated content, features and processes, we plan to have our website regularly audited by external experts. In the first half of 2020, we carried out an internal evaluation and assessed compliance with relevant requirements. The evaluation showed that the following features and content are currently not fully accessible:
- Interactive diagrams
- The data can be downloaded as a data table, which is, however, not visually identifiable as table.
- The menu of the interactive diagram is partly displayed in English.
- The minimum contrast ratio for graphic elements is not always met.
- We plan to further optimise accessibility in spring 2021.
- Podcast "Umweltpolitik aufs Ohr"
How to get in touch
Please let us know if you have any difficulty accessing content or features on our website. We are happy to receive any suggestions or feedback that can help us make our information fully accessible to you.
Send us a message via the "Report barrier" form or contact us at:
Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety
Telephone: 49 (0) 30 18 305-0
Send a message via the Report barrier form.
If you are experiencing difficulties
Do you have the impression that our information is not made sufficiently accessible to you? If you feel that your rights guaranteed under the German Act on Equal Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities have been infringed upon, you can start an arbitration procedure.
In this case, please contact the federal Arbitration Service:
Arbitration Service according to the German Act on Equal Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities with the Federal Government Commissioner for Matters relating to Persons with Disabilities
Telephone: 49 (0) 30 18 527 2805