Objectives/Goals of the amendment to the 26th BImSchV:
- Better harmonisation with the telecommunications provisions in the Ordinance on the procedure for providing proof as regards limiting exposure to electromagnetic fields (BEMFV);
- Extension of the scope of application to include radio installations operated by private and sovereign parties and high-voltage direct current transmission as a new, previously unregulated technology for electricity grid expansion;
- Application of the revised limit values recommended in 2010 by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP);
- General Administrative Provision pertaining to the Ordinance on Electromagnetic Fields (26th BImSchVVwV);
- Inclusion of precautionary provisions for low frequency and direct current installations
On 20 January 2016 the German government adopted the General Administrative Provision pertaining to the Ordinance on Electromagnetic Fields (26th BImSchVVwV) presented by the Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety.