The Federal Environment Ministry (BMU) has revised its draft of the Environmental Code (UGB) of November 2007 and started the consultation process with the Länder and associations on the new draft. The final coordination of the draft within the German government has yet to take place. During the ongoing interdepartmental coordination between the competent ministries, further changes might be made to the provisions.
The package of provisions UGB 2009 consists of the following draft acts and ordinances:
- UGB I – General provisions and project-related environmental legislation
- UGB II - Water management
- UGB III – Nature conservation
- UGB IV – Non-ionising radiation
- UGB V – Greenhouse gas emissions trading
- EG UGB – Introductory act to the Environmental Code
- Ordinance on projects under the Environmental Code
- Ordinance on environmental officers
Over the next parliamentary term, additional fields of environmental legislation are planned to be incorporated into the UGB.
As a technical working aid the BMU offers a comparison in "Track changes" mode of the current draft acts and ordinances with those published in November 2007.