Climate change and the European water dimension
Climate change and the European water dimension – Enhancing resilience on 4 - 5 November 2020
Adaptation to climate change and enhancing resilience is a key challenge for water management and economic sectors in the European Union that are depending on the use of water and/or the services water bodies are providing.
In the context of the European Green Deal, the European Commission has announced a new, more ambitious EU strategy on adaptation to climate change for the beginning of 2021. Sustainable and resilient water management and adapting to water-related impacts of climate change across sectors is expected to be a key component of the new strategy. It is therefore timely to explore ways in which EU policy and EU initiatives could contribute to enhancing climate resilience in EU Member States and beyond.
Conference outcome document: Policy Paper
This policy paper results from the deliberations at the conference and provides recommendations for the European Commission and EU Member States on how to increase water-related climate resilience and initiate the transformational change required to ensure resilience in the future.
The background paper analyses in more detail the observed and expected climate change impacts, adaptation measures adopted to date, required action and possible entry points for EU activities.
The main objectives of the conference are to:
- Discuss appropriate measures and policy instruments to achieve resilience towards climate change.
- Explore policy recommendations for EU activities to enhance adaptation efforts at EU, Member States’ and transboundary level.
- Provide input to the development of the new EU adaptation strategy and other relevant EU policy processes and instruments.
Day 1, 4 November 2020
- 10:00 – Welcome and high-level opening of the conference
- 10:50 – Keynote speeches: Adaptation challenges in the European Union at the regional and local level and Sustainable water management in the changing climate
- 11:45 – Stakeholder perspectives
- 12:30 – The upcoming new EU adaptation strategy and water – Preliminary insights
- 13:40 – Water-related climate change impacts in Europe - Main results of the Peseta IV study
- 14:00 – Thought starters on cross-cutting themes
- 15:00 – Addressing too much, too little water, and climate proofing of measures – Best-practice case studies and lessons learned from EU Member States (parallel sessions)
Day 2, 5 November 2020
- 09:00 – Shaping adaptation policies from a water perspective – Introduction to the draft "Policy Paper"
- 09:30 – Three breakout group sessions to discuss different sections of the draft "Policy Paper"
- 14:00 – Excursus: Health, water and climate change – Relevant interlinkages to be addressed
- 14:15 – Final reflections and high-level closing